Sunday, August 24, 2008

Conversations

Are you not afraid of me, little one?
As I rush at you, imposing:
Yet you gaze at me, imploring,
Your big, bright round eyes
So innocent and clear.
So untouched by the solemnity
That resides in the adult heart.
You are blessed because of your innocence,
Once you know what it is like to be human,
The more questions bring the more ignorance.
Child, in your heart,
You possess a form of transcendence
That I have lost in adulthood
And I continue to flounder,
Not knowing what is right or wrong.
Connections; severed.
Reverence, broken.
Am I coming to a sharp turn in the bend
Or a dead end?
Perhaps in the clarity of your eyes,
So sure of the security of your safe world,
I will find the answer.

1842 240808



Feet blur on gravel. I know the sounds of each house, the sight of each old man pruning the grass. I recognise the same song being played on the piano, it does not do Beethoven justice. I smell fat frying in a pan, the sizzle of flames. Why do I turn corners so fast? Where is all this anger coming from? Why is it every time I open my mouth what comes out is a scream? How do I articulate this perpetual feeling that burns searingly in my head?
8 minute mark. I turn the same corner. I see the same fence, the same coloured gate. In a world of such familiar things, where is the Thing that should be most familiar? I have lost It. I used to see it in flowers, in the salmon pink of sunset, as I lowered my head in prayer. Now I walk with my head held high, and when it touches the ground it is the world I am thinking of.
Wind flies through my hair. Is this is a sin? Can I tell you all my hopes and fears? Will you answer me? Please answer me. I feel so scared. Hold my heart in Your hand. I am forever Yours.

3 comments:

Niresh said...

That's quite a good poem btw. I disagree with parts, but still nice :)

Anonymous said...

Really?
Thanks. Not my usual style.

ndhaniya said...

gosh. I think it's a beautiful poem.