Tuesday, July 15, 2008

For the heck of it

Rules :
1. Each player of this game starts off with 15 weird things/habits/little known facts about yourself.
2. People who get tagged need to write a blog of their own 15 weird things/habits/little known facts as well as state this rule clearly.
3. At the end, you need to choose 10 people to be tagged and list their names.
4. No tags back!!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. I take my coffee super strong and super black with no sugar or milk and I always ask the Starbucks person to add an extra shot.
2. I wake up at 6.00 a.m. everyday regardless of whether it is holidays, weekends or normal school days.
3. I want to run a half marathon before I turn 18 but time is running out so I don't think that's possible.
4. I am very obsessed with things I am obsessed about.
5. I am rude to my parents and I feel very guilty but I can't help it.
6. I have gotten first in my year ever since I was... 7. But now, some stupid idiot's changing all that (Grrrr!)
7. I HATE playing team sports. HATE IT.
8. I am in love with Rafael Nadal because he is perfect (modest, kind, funny, does not drink, etc, etc.)
9. My favourite number is 7.
10. For some reason I am skeptical about the real existence of emotions and I feel that they are just figments of our imagination which our mind convinces us we are feeling.
11. I eat a lot of fibre.
12. I enjoy making things with my hands such as cards and scrapbooks and artsy-schmartsy stuff.
13. I don't believe that Friday the 13th is a bad day. It's just another Friday which will be followed by Saturday. (Right.)
14. I think about ( ) a lot. And don't just assume it's a person.
15. I am losing control





HAR DE HAR. So there.. I've wasted approximately 9 minutes of my time which should have been better spent expanding my pathetic notes :


Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR)

· Used in molecular biology

· DNA polymerase is used to amplify a piece of DNA by in vitro enzymatic replication

· The generated DNA is itself used as a template for replication

· Starts a chain reaction in which the DNA template is exponentially replicated

· Employ a heat-stable DNA polymerase, such as Taq polymerase, an enzyme originally isolated from the bacterium Thermus aquaticus.

· DNA polymerase enzymatically assembles DNA strands from nucleotides using single-stranded DNA as templates and DNA oligonucleotides (or DNA primers) needed for initiation.

· Thermal cycling is used (alternately heating and cooling) to a defined series of temperature steps.

· DNA melting: Physically separating the strands at high temperatures in a DNA double helix

· This is used as template in DNA synthesis at lower temperatures by DNA polymerase to selectively amplify target DNA.

· The selectivity results from the primers complementary to target DNA regions

Gel Electrophoresis

· Technique used for the separation of DNA, RNA and proteins by applying an electric current across a gel matrix.

· May be used as a preparatory process preceding PCR

· "Electrophoresis" refers to the electromotive force (EMF) that is used to move the molecules through the gel matrix. By placing the molecules in wells in the gel and applying an electric current, the molecules will move through the matrix at different rates, usually determined by mass, toward the positive anode if negatively charged or toward the negative cathode if positively charged


....Of which I will now continue...
À bientôt!



Oh ya before I forget:
I tag:

Liani
Qistina
Atiqah
Yasmin
Han Lyn
Gaik Lyn
Kylie
E-Quine
Jiun Mei
Amy


..What an odd assortment

No comments: