Monday, June 1, 2009

Defeat

By the way, slept at 2.00 a.m. yesterday. Today is an extremely sad day for me. Nadal lost. Even though he really deserves to win. First person to win 5 years in a row, no? Shattered.

But he is worldly wise:

"I know (I am going to lose) one day or the other. Since I know it will happen, I am not worried about it. That's life, the sport and the difficulty of tennis."

Hearing him say that makes me feel a lot better.

"You need a defeat to give value to your victories. I have to accept my defeat as I accepted my victories: with calm. This is not a tragedy, losing here in Paris. It had to happen one day, and this is an excellent season for me."


And this is why I respect him as a player and as a person. Never blaming others (fundamental attribution error? He constantly assumes they are dispositional...) Always trying and striving harder. He obviously didn't play well yesterday, how I wish he'd just held on for a little bit longer, so he could celebrate his birthday with a victory..

When asked during the post-match press conference "What are your preparations for Wimbledon?" He curtly replied "Right now the only preparation I'm going to have is in the swimming pool of my house. Give me 3 days to think about my preparations for Wimbledon!"

:)

After watching the presser I felt a whole lot more relieved; he seems alright. The stupid crowd yesterday was horrible though, they never really liked him: Cheering for Soderling the whole time. Bloody people always support the underdog. Ugh.

Anyway... I think Rafa deserves a rest and to spend his birthday with his family in Mallorca (which he hasn't done for 4 years on account of being at Roland Garros every year still in the tournament)... So perhaps in a way this is a blessing in disguise (Let's bloody hope it is!)

VAMOS RAFA!

2 comments:

Victor said...

I reckon you watch Nadal's matches a great deal? Very difficult not to like his style of play right? He fights harder and HARDER. Always looking at losses as ways to improve himself, never a setback. Never finding an excuse or blaming an external factor. I've always enjoyed watching his tenacity in his matches. He never gives up.

SarahSC said...

EXACTLY. Well said :)