Thursday, February 4, 2010

11 days

Did my second last solitary long run this morning. It was so nice. The street lights lit up for me, one by one, majestically - lighting the pre-dawn darkness. My feet traversed familiar roads, turned well known corners. I knew as I passed each drooping tree that this was my way of saying goodbye; by sharing this morning with them, by being part of Nature itself. And I know that in the future, no matter where my legs take me, only this place can I truly call Home. For it is home indeed. Irreplaceable. Distinct from all other places. I am capturing snapshots, fleeting glimpses of these people and places I love: the intermittent swaying of the palm tree outside my neighbour's house on a windy day. My fat cat lying stretched out on the pavement. The naked statue in the huge Japanese house. The distant specks of fishermen's boats along the curve of Gurney Drive. Someone's laugh, caught midway. A pat on the back. A friend tucking my hair behind my ear. Twinkling eyes. A gorgeous smile. Bike number 3! All these small things. I am bound, not by obligation, but by memory.

No comments: