Saturday, June 26, 2010

Homeward Bound

Had my last run in Melbourne today. Just let my legs lead me wherever they wanted to go. To all the people tucked in their warm blankets on a freezing Saturday winter morning with a good book and hot coffee... Fuck you. I admire your determination to stay in bed. If I had enough will power I could probably do it too. But when the feet want to pound pavement, ain't nothing you can do about that. Had the dark streets to myself. Passed the graveyard on Lygon. In pitch darkness I always love the feeling when I run past the graves. It is half fear and half exhilaration - the wind is always extra strong in this area and I keep visualising that it is the dead souls forming an invisible fence pushing me backwards. It is at once thrilling and frightening. Past the graveyard now and along Park Street. I never fail to notice that, dangling from one of those telephone lines, is a single baby's shoe. I wonder how it got there. It is bright red.

On my way home a rainbow appeared. And not one of those that end halfway in the sky, but a full rainbow. End to end. I won't say it gave me hope, because it didn't. I don't believe in that sort of crap. But I did appreciate it.

I am currently reading a book called "Things I've Been Silent About" by Azar Nafisi. It's one of those books that you can't help but hurry through eagerly because you want to know what happened and then you get close to the end and regret that you didn't take more time to enjoy it. The book is poignant and touching in some parts; melodramatic in others. I like it. It is my kind of book. She describes with personal detail the oppression of women in Iran during the Islamic Revolution, how her father was unjustly jailed, and the falling apart of her dysfunctional family. She is very beautiful.


In about 12 hours I will be on a plane. And that plane is going to take me back to the best place on Earth. In my opinion anyway.

No comments: